This recipe is a hit at our house. My husband says it’s better than lasagna (one of our favorites)! These are great for dinner at home or would be a crowd pleaser at a pot luck. Truly, Italian comfort food. With simple ingredients, you can crank out an impressive dinner for your family. Serve alongside a green salad, and ta-da, dinner is complete! The mix of cheese…. Come to Mama! ~Kathy
- 12 oz. Jumbo pasta shells (make plenty – some will break; you need about 34 for this recipe)
- ½ lb. 96% lean ground beef
- 1/3 c. chopped onion
- 1 c. shredded parmesan cheese (not the powdered type)
- 1 c. (1% fat) cottage cheese
- 1 (7.5 oz.) package cream cheese with chive and onion
- 2 c. low moisture part-skim mozzarella, shredded (reserve ¾ c.)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp. garlic powder)
- ¼ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 (24 oz.) jar reduced fat spaghetti sauce
- 3 T. water
- Optional garnishes: fresh chopped basil or parsley
In large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Cook pasta just until al dente (about 10 minutes). Drain, rinse in cold water and turn open side down on paper towels to dry.
While the noodles are cooking, cook ground beef with onion. Season with salt and pepper. Drain grease and set aside.
Combine parmesan cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese and 1¼ c. mozzarella. Stir in eggs, garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper and parsley. Stir in ground beef mixture. Combine well.
In a small bowl, mix together water and ¼ c. spaghetti sauce. Spread into the bottom of a greased 9×13 pan.
Fill each shell with a heaping tablespoon of cheese mixture. Set into pan open side up. Continue filling shells until cheese mixture is gone. Top with remaining sauce.
Cover loosely with foil and bake in a preheated 375˚ oven for 40 minutes. Turn oven off, remove foil. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Leave in oven for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Top with fresh chopped parsley or basil if desired.
WW Freestyle Info.: This makes approximately 34 stuffed shells. A serving of 2 shells is 7 points. A serving of 3 shells is 11 points.