Have you seen the meme on social media that says “January was a hard year but we made it.”? That makes me chuckle because it must be the universal feeling everyone is having, me included. It was LONG month. Not bad, just long. I guess because November and December just flew right by, the slower pace of the new year seemed to crawl in comparison.
January has finally come to a close and, while I’m not one to wish time away, I’m happy to see February… mostly because it’s one month closer to Spring.
Food-wise, winter has been a season of belly-warming comfort foods for me. I have fully enjoyed all the foods and have about 7 pounds to show for it. Time to stop eating like I’m participating in hibernation. While I love comfort foods, I truly appreciate a dinner that is not so heavy. This Honey Garlic Shrimp is sweet and spicy and, of course, garlicy… hence the name. It’s also super-fast to make. We’re talking like 15 minutes start-to-finish. Can’t beat that! I can throw this on the table after work in no time and have a meal everyone will enjoy! That’s why it’s part of my weeknight dinner rotation. I’m confident it will soon be part of yours as well. ~Erin
- 2 lbs. medium-sized shrimp that have been shelled and de-veined
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. sesame oil or olive oil
- ¼ tsp. grated ginger root or 1/8 tsp. dry ginger
- ½ c. less-sodium soy sauce
- ½ c. water
- 1 T. cornstarch
- 2 T. honey
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste; optional
- Chopped green onion
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Add the shrimp and cook about 4 minutes.
- Flip the shrimp and add the remaining ½ tsp. of oil, the garlic, and the ginger. Cook for 3 or 4 more minutes, until the shrimp is cooked and the garlic and ginger are fragrant.
- Remove the seasoned shrimp from heat and transfer to a plate.
- Return the skillet to the stove and turn the heat up to medium-high. Immediately add soy sauce and water to the skillet. When it begins to bubble, add the cornstarch, whisking continuously, until thickened. This will take just a couple minutes.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the honey.
- Return the shrimp to the skillet and stir to coat the shrimp and warm through.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with green onions and sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes, if desired.
WW Freestyle info.: This makes 4 servings. Each serving is 3 points, not counting rice.