Erin’s husband loves shrimp and brings a bunch home every year on his annual fishing trip to Louisiana. Erin rarely cooks it, however, because of the work to peel and devein it. On his most recent trip, he got wise and bought shrimp that’s already been peeled, deveined, de-tailed, and individually frozen. At last, all are happy… the cook & and shrimp-lovers alike.
This recipe was born on a Friday during Lent. It’s funny how sometimes your Lenten fasting meals can end up more decadent than your normal, weekly suppers, simply because you have to get creative. This is one of those meals. While being actually pretty low fat, you’re still able to treat yourself to a rich bowl of creamy, spicy pasta.
- 8 ounces whole wheat rotini pasta
- 1 orange and 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 24 ounces raw, peeled & deveined shrimp, tails removed
- Cooking spray
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 – 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can mild Ro-Tel (tomatoes with green chilies), drained
- 16 ounces fat free chicken broth
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 4 T. fat free half & half
- Salt & pepper
- 1 T. Cajun seasoning (such as Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning)
- Shredded parmesan cheese, optional (not included in Weight Watchers calculations)
- Chopped green onions, optional
Sprinkle shrimp lightly with salt & pepper.
In a large, nonstick skillet, sauté shrimp in cooking spray for about 5 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until shrimp are pink and opaque; set aside.
Clean the skillet with a damp paper towel (careful!).
Heat olive oil over medium heat and add bell peppers and onions; cook until onions are translucent and peppers are tender, stirring often.
Add garlic and continue to cook until fragrant (just 30 seconds or so).
Add tomatoes, Ro-Tel, chicken broth, Cajun seasoning, and uncooked pasta to the skillet; bring to a boil and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring often, until pasta is al dente and most of the liquid is evaporated.
Stir in cream cheese until melted.
Add fat free half & half and stir to combine.
Stir in shrimp and heat through.
Top with shredded parmesan and green onions, if desired.
WW Freestyle Info..: Each 8 oz. serving by weight (about 1 heaping cup) is 5 points. (Old SmartPoints: 6 SmartPoints.)