When Robin’s husband Barry was very young, he thought that the line in church “Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord. Hosanna in the highest” said “lasagna in the highest.” Imagine how disappointed he must have been when he grew old enough to realize that his favorite food did not have an exalted place in church doctrine. If there is a place for folks to eat lasagna in heaven though, this is the recipe that the angels must use. It’s easy, cheesy, and yummy!
- ~1 lb. 95% lean ground beef, cooked and drained of fat
- ~2 cloves garlic, minced or smashed through garlic press
- ~1 16 oz. can petite diced tomatoes (don’t drain)
- ~2 7 oz. cans tomato sauce
- ~1 package McCormick thick and zesty spaghetti sauce mix
- ~½ t. dried oregano
- ~scant ½ t. dried basil
- ~1 c. small curd cottage cheese
- ~1 8 oz. package of lasagna noodles
- ~1 t. salt
- ~1 t. pepper
- ~1 package (2 c. size) shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese
- ~1 package (2 c. size) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Brown hamburger meat with salt and pepper.
- Drain any excess fat.
- Add minced garlic to cooked hamburger.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and spaghetti sauce mix (this ingredient is critical — don’t try to reinvent the wheel here!).
- As sauce begins to simmer, add oregano and basil.
- Simmer sauce for 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend well.
- Preheat oven to 375° F when nearly done with sauce.
- While sauce simmers, boil lasagna noodles in salty water.
- Remove sauce from heat and add cottage cheese to sauce. Stir just enough to combine.
- Drain lasagna noodles, once cooked.
- To begin layering lasagna, pray a 9x13” dish with cooking spray.
- Place a thin layer of sauce in the pan.
- Continue to layer sauce, noodles, and cheese.
- When placing the cheese spread a layer of both Colby/Monterey Jack and Mozzarella each time.
- The layering process is always sauce, noodles, cheese, repeat. Just be sure that you always end with sauce and cheese on top.
- Bake at 375° F for 25 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
*Weight Watchers Info.: This lasagna serves 10 at 8 SmartPoints each. Weight Watchers substitutions to achieve this point total below-- it's every bit as good this way!
~8 oz. whole wheat pasta noodles (this change only reduces each serving by one point so if have regular noodles, just add one point per serving)
~1 c. 2% reduced fat small curd cottage cheese
~1 package (2 c. size) shredded Colby and Monterey Jack 2% milk cheese
~1 package (2 c. size) shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese