Mexican street corn (elote) is all the rage. It’s basically been the epitome of summer cuisine this year. Everywhere I turn, it’s offered. Restaurants, farmers markets, food trucks — you name it. For those of you that have not been introduced to it yet, you have been missing out. It combines a wild variety of Tex-Mex flavors to transport you to another not-so-far-away land…hopefully one that includes a beach. ☺
Anything that is this popular and all the buzz must be sticking around. This salad (off the cob) version is equally spectacular. I scribbled down this recipe one day on my lunch break and knew I had to make it soon. When I mixed this together, even I was surprised how good it was. It has all the flavor you want in traditional street corn plus some tasty twists of my own. Try it while corn season is HOT!! ~Kathy
- 6 ears of corn, husks and silks removed; cooked and cut off the cob (about 4.5 cups of corn depending on size of ears)
- 2 T. cilantro, chopped
- 1 to 2 T. jalapeno, finely chopped (seeds and ribs removed)
- 1/4 c. red onion, finely chopped
- ¾ c. queso fresco, crumbled fine
- 1/3 c. light miracle whip
- 1/4 c. plain non-fat Greek yogurt*
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 T. lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 tsp. lime zest
- salt & pepper to taste
Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine salad ingredients, except cheese. Stir in sauce ingredients. Add cheese, fold together and serve.
WW Info.: Makes 6 one-cup servings at just 2 points each.
*May use low fat sour cream instead of non-fat Greek yogurt; it’s 3 points per cup with this substitution.