When I think of salads, I typically think of summer. This, however isn’t your typical salad. In fact, it’s more of a slaw… a fall slaw. I like the sound of that; heck, it almost rhymes. But not quite. Anywho, if you’ve ever visited Cracker Barrel Old Country Store for dinner, you may have had their Brussels Sprouts N’ Kale Salad. If so, this will be very familiar. I’m not sure what exact ingredients their version has, but I think I hit it pretty close. Mine has shredded Brussels sprouts, kale, dried cranberries and pecans, just like theirs. I kicked it up a notch, though, with addition of finely diced apples, red onion, and a maple vinaigrette. What says Autumn more than apples, pecans, cranberries, and maple? Nothing, folks. This is the perfect Autumn/Fall/Holiday Salad/Slaw/Side. ~Erin
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 c. maple syrup*
- 2 T. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. dry ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, stems cut off and outer leaves removed, then washed
- 3 c. chopped kale
- 2 apples, cored & finely chopped
- 1/4 of a red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. dried cranberries, coarsely chopped (or more if not following WW)
- 1 oz. pecans, toasted if desired & chopped
- Mix together the first 5 ingredients in a jar with a lid (shake to combine) or a small bowl (whisk to combine).
- Shred the Brussels sprouts, preferably using a food processor.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded sprouts with the chopped kale, apple, and onion.
- Pour the dressing over top and stir. I like to add it gradually and stir, so as not to overdress the slaw.
- Top with chopped cranberries and pecans.
- Chill until ready to serve; toss to redistribute dressing before serving.
WW Freestyle Info.: This recipe makes 8 1-cup servings at 6 points with regular maple syrup. With sugar free maple syrup, it’s 4 points per 1-cup serving.