Like all great ideas, this recipe inspiration came to me in the middle of the night. Every cloud has a silver lining – even a little short-lived insomnia. Surely I’m not the only one who makes meal plans when I can’t sleep! Anyway, I love meatballs of all flavors and I thought a chicken fajita meatball sounded pretty tasty! After some experimenting in the kitchen (during daylight hours), these babies were born.
These are delicious served with sour cream and your favorite salsa, but they are even more amazing with this zero point Creamy Cilantro Sauce. If you like cilantro, that is. I find that most people either love it or hate it. I happen to love it. This sauce is easy to make in your blender and will store in the fridge for up to a week. Try them together for the perfect healthy meal. ~Erin
- 1 lb. 98% lean ground chicken (or turkey) breast
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 bell pepper (I used half a red and half a green for color), finely diced
- 1 T. olive oil
- ¾ c. plain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. cumin
- The juice of half a lime
Optional serving choices: corn tortillas warmed in a skillet, chopped onion, cilantro, additional lime wedges for squeezing over meatballs, sour cream, salsa, and of course Creamy Cilantro Sauce
- If cooking in a conventional oven, preheat to 375° F. If cooking in an air fryer, there is no need to preheat.
- In a medium skillet, sauté the onion and peppers in the olive oil until the onions are tender (about 5 minutes); set aside to cool to room temp.
- In small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with the spices (chili powder, salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, and cumin) until combined); set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground chicken, the sautéed veggies, egg, and lime juice. Then work in the bread crumb mixture.
- Roll the meat mixture into 18 golf ball sized balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with foil or parchment.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or in the air fryer at 350° F for 12-13 minutes.
- Serve as an appetizer with dipping sauces or on tortillas.
WW Freestyle info: This recipe makes 18 meatballs. Each meatball is 1 SmartPoint.