I recently did a 28 day challenge at a local gym, Signature Fitness. The challenge included 4 trainer-led (killer! – but doable) workouts per week and a meal plan. Well, I didn’t exactly follow the meal plan (I do Weight Watchers anyway so I felt no need to deviate from that) but I did try to eat more “clean” during the challenge. I didn’t win the 4 week challenge but I did lose a few pounds (which was not my goal) and some inches (that was more my focus). Even though I didn’t follow the meal plan exactly, I did try a few of the recipes. This Zucchini Soup is one of those. It’s a very summery soup… does that make sense for a soup? It does in this situation… it’s so fresh tasting! You have a couple options for flavors here. The original recipe calls for fennel. I loved it with the fennel, but not all members of my family are fennel fans so I often make it with dill instead. I love it just as much with dill, and it’s delicious served warm or cold, either one! ~Erin
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium zucchini, peeled and chopped
- ½ a medium white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried fennel seed OR ½ tsp dried dill weed (not both!)
- 3 c. low-sodium chicken stock
- Salt, to taste (plus black pepper if using fennel)
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot with zucchini, onion, and fennel seed (if using).
- Sautee over medium heat until onion becomes translucent.
- Add chicken stock and dill, if using instead of fennel.
- Simmer until zucchini is very tender (about 10-15 minutes).
- Turn off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes, then blend with an immersion blender. If you do not have an immersion blender, let the mixture cool to almost room temp and then puree in your blender. Do not put hot liquids in the blender.
- Add salt (and pepper if you used fennel as the spice – pepper is not necessary if you used dill) to taste.
- If you used fennel, you may want to strain out the seeds at this point; they don’t blend.
- Serve warm or cold.
Weight Watchers info: This soups makes about 4 servings of 1 cup each. Each serving is zero SmartPoints!