Some of my favorite things to cook are the things that I know I can use for more than one meal. If you’re as busy as we all are (And really, who isn’t these days?), then you know the value of things that are easy, delicious, and can have multiple uses. This Simple Crockpot Pot Roast has so many tasty uses, it’s one of my favorite things to cook. In fact, we had this tonight as barbeque sandwiches. Tomorrow we’ll be eating it as tasty beef enchiladas, and if I’m really lucky, I’ll get shredded beef nachos the next day! ~Tracy
- ~1 rump roast – I try to buy in the 3 to 4 pound range
- ~5 beef bouillon cubes
- ~1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- ~3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- ~1 generous tablespoon kosher salt
- ~3 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- ~Enough water to cover roast approximately 2/3 up the side
- Picking out your cut of meat may be the hardest part of making this recipe. When searching for a roast, choose one that has some fat. You can always trim a little of the fat off, but let’s be real: fat = flavor. Look for a roast on which all or most of the grain of the meat is going in the same direction. Just as a nice piece of wood should have grain going all in one direction, so should a nice piece of meat. I find that rump roasts usually come out very flavorful and tender, but most any roast can be used.
- I highly recommend using a crockpot liner for easy cleanup (I have had good look with the ones from Reynolds). You can put everything right in the lined crockpot and once cooled, remove the liner and throw it away.
- Place the quartered onion and smashed garlic in the bottom of your crockpot.
- Place roast into crockpot.
- Add salt and peppercorns.
- Place bouillon cubes into crockpot along the sides of the roast.
- Add water to about 2/3 up the sides of the roast. Don’t completely cover the meat.
- Cook on high for 7 hours or on low for 12.
- Carefully remove meat from crockpot with tongs or forks.
- Shred meat and serve as traditional pot roast or any way you like!
Rump roast = 3 WW Freestyle points per 3 oz. serving.