When the temperatures in our neck of Oklahoma dip into the area where the meteorologists start using snowflake and icicle graphics, I look for any excuse to stay cuddled up by my fireplace. I want to sip coffee and cocoa all day long and eat nothing but steaming hot bowls of soup. What I do not want to do is spend a lot of time in the kitchen, so this recipe for a creamy and hearty Chicken Tortilla Chowder is perfect! I use pre-shredded rotisserie chicken that I always keep in my freezer so the prep time is super short, but you can use any white meat chicken (boiled, grilled, or open a can if you’re really in a hurry). Not only is this soup really good, it’s only 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle Points per cup, without the cheese. Makes 12, 1 cup servings. ~Tracy
- 3 cups canned chicken broth
- 2 cans (10 oz. each) cream of potato soup
- 2 cans (10 oz. each) healthy request cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 2 cups shredded white meat chicken
- 1 can (11 oz.) Mexicorn, drained (regular corn is fine too if you can’t find Mexicorn)
- 2 cans (4 oz. each) chopped green chili peppers (we like it spicy so I use ½ jalapenos)
- 6, 6” fat free flour tortillas, torn into bite size pieces
- Optional garnishes: your favorite shredded cheese and some chopped green onions to taste
Combine broth, soups, and milk in large soup pan. Heat on medium low temp until all combined. Add the chicken, corn, chili peppers, and mix well. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Add the torn pieces of tortilla and heat on medium heat for approximately 20 minutes until tortillas become somewhat softened.
Serve topped with green onions and a little of your favorite shredded cheese. We also like ours with a big slice of corn bread!
Weight Watchers Info.: This recipe makes 12 1-cup servings. Each cup is 4 Freestyle SmartPoints.