I’ve had something like this in mind for a while now. I wanted a bread pudding I can eat without guilt. It’s taken me a few fails to figure out a good recipe. For instance, while 2-ingredient dough bagels are delicious, they do not make a good bread pudding. That turned out bad. This cinnamon swirl bread is perfect though! It’s already mildly sweet and cinnamony. The sweet bread soaked in a protein shake custard is just the combination I was looking for! I can even eat this for breakfast and feel like I’ve started the day right! ~Erin
*This post contains affiliate links. We earn a small small commission on purchases made via these links.
Air fryer and conventional oven cooking instructions are included below. (Check out our link to our favorite air fyer here!)
- ~ 2 ½ slices Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Swirl bread
- ~ ½ of an 11 oz. carton of Vanilla Premier Protein Shake
- ~ 1 egg, beaten
- ~ ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ~ 2 tsp. sugar
- ~ pinch of salt
- ~ Caramel ice cream topping, regular or sugar free (optional)
- If using a conventional oven, preheat it now to 350°F.
- Tear the bread into small pieces and place into a ramekin or oven safe mug; lightly pack together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, protein shake, cinnamon, sugar and salt to make a custard.
- Slowly pour the custard mixture over the bread, until all the bread is soaked but not swimming in custard; discard any leftover custard mixture – there shouldn’t be much if any.
- For air fryer: Cook at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- For conventional oven: Cook in the preheated 350°F oven for 45, until the top is brown.
- Drizzle with caramel ice cream topping, if desired.
Weight Watchers info: This recipe makes 2 servings. Each serving is 5 Freestyle SmartPoints, not including caramel topping.