Greek Yogurt Pancakes

When trying to keep my family, and of course myself, eating anything that resembles healthy food, it seems that breakfast is one of the hardest meals to conquer. A person can only eat so many eggs and the variations I’ve tried of whole wheat, protein packed pancakes and other goodies have been met with less than enthusiastic reviews. Now that our friends at Weight Watchers have made nonfat Greek yogurt zero points on the new Freestyle program, I’ve re-invented my classic sour cream pancakes into a healthier breakfast option. My teenage sons didn’t even notice I’d changed the recipe. I’d say that’s a success! And they’re only 1 point each on Weight Watchers Freestyle! ~ Tracy

Greek_yogurt_pancakes_logo

Ingredients:

2 c. plain nonfat Greek yogurt

1 c. all-purpose flour

2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

4 eggs, slightly beaten

½ c. low-fat milk (1%)

1 tsp. vanilla

Instructions:

Pour Greek yogurt into a medium sized mixing bowl or the bowl of electric stand mixer. Combine all dry ingredients and add to yogurt. Mix just until dry ingredients are incorporated into the yogurt.

Combine eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add to yogurt mixture and mix until well combined.

Cook in sprayed skillet or griddle pan until each side is golden brown. You can gauge when to flip each pancake when bubbles begin to form on the uncooked side.

Weight Watchers Info.: Makes 14 pancakes at approximately 5 in. diameter each. Each pancake is 1 SmartPoint on the new Freestyle plan.

Advertisements

45 thoughts on “Greek Yogurt Pancakes

1. Kelly says:

How could I measure out the pancakes when pouring onto the frying pan? A lot of recipes usually call for 1/4 cup per pancake. What size cup would you use for this recipe?

• I’d say probably about a 1/4 cup or maybe a tad more. I just eyeballed it to make sure that each pancake was the same size (about 5″) so that the points would be the same on each one. Hope that helps!

• No, we have not tried to freeze these particular pancakes but I’ve frozen other pancakes before with wax paper between them. Should work for these too! You can also refrigerate them for a couple days and reheat as needed instead of freezing too.
      ~Erin

2. Cheryl says:

These pancakes are so good. I was skeptical, as I am with most pancake recipes. This one was better than most non-healthy ones I’ve tried. So yummy. Do you know how long the batter would last in the fridge? Or am I better off making all the pancakes and keeping those?

• Cheryl, I haven’t tried storing the batter. I think the baking soda might lose it’s ‘oomph’ after a while. I usually prepare the pancakes and store them in the fridge with wax paper between each one. They will keep for up to a week that way. – Tracy.

3. Do you think omitting the baking soda and salt and using self rising flour (which has those already included) would work for these? I happen to have a big bag of it!

• Yes. We haven’t tried it ourselves, but someone commented on Facebook that she used self-rising flour and it worked great. If you are doing Weight Watchers, you might check the points. I’m not sure if it would change them or not. ~Erin

• I should add that it may change the texture of the pancakes. As I said, we haven’t made them with self-rising flour so we can’t guarantee good results. Let us know if it works well for you though!

• We haven’t tried it. It might work though. I assume it will make them slightly sweet but I’m not sure what kind of texture they would have. If you try it, let us know if it works!

4. Barb Graham says:

I’m just eating these and am impressed. My biggest issue was keeping the pan at perfect temp and flipping them is a bit tricky for me lol. Added some small blueberries too! And I can’t tell you how many more I got than 15! Still making them!

• KC, I’m sorry for the delay in replying. Somehow your comment was inadvertently marked as spam! To answer your question, no the points do not go up for multiples. I went up to 6 pancakes just now in the WW app and the points were 6 for all 6 pancakes. So, they are exactly 1 SmartPoint per pancake, at least up to six servings (didn’t test it past that).
      Thanks,
      Erin

5. Tammy says:

These were delicious! I love lemon blueberry pancakes added 2 tsp of lemon juice and a small container of blueberries. Perfect!

6. Elissa says:

These were very good! I did find them a little salty–would omitting the tsp of salt bake any difference to the recipe?

• foursistersdish says:

Elissa, we haven’t tried omitting the salt but I’m sure they’d have basically the same texture and cook through just fine.