This Mexican flavored dish is rich and flavorful without being heavy. Mom snagged this recipe from her good friend (and my Godmother) Joyce, and it’s been one of the few things I’ve made regularly since I left for college – so good and so easy! The chiles aren’t too spicy so it can serve a crowd with varied spice tolerances. I like this piled up with pickled jalapeños and my favorite salsa. ~Robin
- 2 ½ c. cooked, chopped chicken breast (chopped into about 1/2” cubes
- ½ c. fat free chicken broth
- 1 ½ c. 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup (I use Campbell’s)
- 1 ½ c. Healthy Request Condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 4-oz. jar pimentos, drained (1/2 c.)
- 2 4-oz. cans Hatch green chiles, chopped and drained (You can add a 3rd can if you’re just crazy about chiles like I am.)
- 10 oz. 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 oz. of Doritos (by weight) toasted corn tortilla chips, slightly crushed
- Pickled jalapeños, green onions, and/or cherry tomatoes for serving (optional)
Mix all ingredients except Doritos and cheese. In a large casserole dish (I use 9” x 13”), layer ½ of chicken mixture, then ½ of cheese, then ½ of the Doritos. Repeat the same layers once more, ending with Doritos on top. Bake at 350° for about 40-45 minutes. Cover top with foil if Doritos begin to brown too much. Serve with pickled jalapeños and/or your favorite salsa.
Weight Watchers Info.: 6 points per serving in the new Freestyle plan; makes 8 servings.