Several versions of this recipe have popped up on popular Weight Watchers groups & sites. (Shout out to all you fellow Weight Watchers!) Its reputation for being simple-to-make and delicious made it impossible not to try. After combining & tweaking the different versions to my liking, I think this is the perfect combo. It’s everything awesome about an egg roll without the extra calories from deep-frying. This is a great week-night meal, when you need something fast and family friendly. Not to mention, it’s much healthier than take-out! ~Erin
- ~1 lb. lean ground beef (I use 93% lean) or ground pork
- ~Salt & pepper
- ~1 ½ T. sesame oil (extra virgin olive oil works fine too)
- ~2 (14 oz.) bags shredded coleslaw mix
- ~1 c. chopped onion
- ~1 T. minced garlic
- ~1 tsp. ginger paste or ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ~1 tsp. rice wine vinegar or white vinegar
- ~4-6 T. low sodium soy sauce
- ~1 T. Sriracha hot sauce or up to 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (if you don’t like things spicy, you may want to reduce this.)
- ~Chopped green onions, for garnish (optional)
- ~Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Brown ground beef and season with salt & pepper.
- Remove from heat, drain any grease, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat sesame oil over medium heat and sauté onion, garlic, and slaw until tender.
- Stir in soy sauce, vinegar, hot sauce or red pepper flakes, and ginger.
- Add beef to mixture and stir to combine.
- Top with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.
Weight Watchers Info.: Makes 6 large servings of 8 ounces each (a heaping cup and a half) at only 5 SmartPoints per serving (with 93% lean ground beef).
This recipe can be served on its own or over rice as preferred.