I made these for New Year’s Eve a while back, and after setting them on the table, I stepped into the kitchen to get a couple more snack trays to bring over. I got sidetracked getting one of the kids something for second, and I swear it had been maybe a minute by the time I came back; there was one left. “Look, we saved you one, honey!” says my husband.
So…I knew they must have been good! And I’m glad they enjoyed them. 🙂
These make an amazing appetizer or side dish. Don’t skip the balsamic reduction. It really sends them over the top! And don’t turn your back on your friends once you serve them. 😉 ~Erin
So easy…just make your Balsamic reduction (I mean, shockingly easy — recipe below).
Clean, stuff, cook, drizzle, and viola!
- 8-10 baby portabella mushrooms
- Babybel mozzarella single serving cheeses (one for each mushroom)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 – 5 grape tomatoes, halved (one half for each mushroom)
- ½ c. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- fresh basil, chopped
- In a small sauce pan, stir the brown sugar into the balsamic vinegar; bring to a simmer over low heat and continue to simmer until it has reduced by at least half, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Clean the tops of the mushrooms with a damp paper towel and remove the stems.
- Brush the mushroom tops on all sides with olive oil and place them, top-side down, in a shallow baking dish.
- Fill each mushroom top with a little minced garlic.
- Place one Babybel mozzarella on top of the garlic; then place one tomato half on top of the cheese.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle liberally with the balsamic reduction.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil.
- Serve immediately.
WW Freestyle Info.: Each cheesy caprese mushroom is 3 points.