Have I mentioned that my sisters and I are big fans of old fashioned comfort food? Especially during the winter, I’m capable of carb loading like your average pre-hibernation bear. Bread, noodles, and baked goods take the place of all other food groups. I have lovingly joked that I am blessed with a large, loud, and loving family….but not blessed with the genetics of a fast metabolism. I also have two teenage boys to feed who have inherited their mother’s love of carbs. So, in the interest of health for all of us, I always look for ways to cut even the smallest amount of fat or carbs from our diet without sacrificing flavor. Bless the hearts of those of you can be successful on seriously low or no carb diets. You have the will power of Super Woman (or man) in my opinion, but the reason I love Weight Watchers – now known as “WW” with the tag line of Wellness Works, because it really does work – and I can still eat the carbs!!
This recipe is born from one of my taste tests of a pasta product called Carba-Nada Egg Fettuccine from the Al Dente Pasta Company. One cup of regular cooked egg noodles is 6 WW Freestyle Points. These Carba-Nada Fettuccine Noodles are only 4 WW Freestyle Points for one and a half cups! More for less is always great in my book, and nobody in my family had any clue that they were a little bit healthier, and a little lower carb, than regular egg noodles.
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1T. reduced calorie margarine
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 c. finely chopped white or yellow onion
- 3/4 c. finely chopped celery
- 1/2 c. chopped baby carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 10 oz. can Campbell’s 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup
- 10 oz. fat free milk (one soup can)
- 2 c. chopped or shredded chicken breast (I use shredded rotisserie chicken breast)
- ~1 10 oz. package Carba Nada Egg Fettuccini
- Gently heat the olive oil and margarine in a large stock pot.
- Once heated, place your celery, onions, and carrots into the stock pot.
- Cook over medium heat until vegetables begin to soften slightly.
- Add salt, pepper, the bay leaf, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, and milk.
- Stir gently to combine and bring to a low simmer.
- Add chicken breast and the entire package of egg noodles.
- Simmer slowly until the noodles are cooked to an al dente texture. Probably no more than 6 or 7 minutes, but check them frequently.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard it before serving.
WW Freestyle Info.: This recipe makes approximately 9 one cup servings. Each serving is 3 points using the Carba-Nada pasta. Using regular egg noodles, each serving is 5 points.
We would earn a fraction of the funds should you choose to order your egg noodles via our Amazon affiliate links, though it won’t cost you any extra.