I can’t believe Christmas is just around the corner! I still have gifts to wrap! Are you an early shopper or a last-minute frenzy shopper? I’m usually somewhere in between, but this year I went back to teaching (after 10 years working in an entirely different industry), and school didn’t let out until this past Wednesday. That, combined with holiday parties, my son’s 8th birthday, and just life in general, has left me way behind this year. I love the holidays but I wish I had more time to relax.
One way I make time for all the gift-wrapping I need to catch up on is by using my crockpot to make supper. Y’all know I love my slow-cooker. Cooking with it is so much better than standing over the stove. I will confess, this Bacon Cheeseburger & Tater Soup is not one you leave and go to work and let it cook. It does need stirred occasionally. Otherwise, it’s very little work. You can wrap your Christmas presents while it cooks!
I hope you and your family enjoy this rich, cheesy, meaty soup and I hope you have a very merry (and relaxing) holiday season! ~Erin
- 1 lb. 96% lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T. burger seasoning (I use McCormick brand
- 1 small onion (or half a large onion), chopped
- 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 (10 ¾ oz.) can Campbell’s Healthy Request cheddar cheese soup
- 1 (32 oz.) carton reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 (32 oz.) bag of frozen southern hash browns (the cubed kind, NOT the shredded kind)
- 8 oz. reduced-fat Velveeta or Velveeta Shreds
- Center-cut bacon, fried crisp (optional garnish but HIGHLY recommended)
- Shredded cheese and chopped pickles, for garnish
- Brown the ground beef (leave it a little chunky – it will fall apart more in the slow cooker); add garlic and burger seasoning and cook another minute, until fragrant.
- Drain grease, if necessary, and transfer it to the pot of a slow cooker.
- Add onion, Worcestershire, Dijon, cheddar soup, and beef broth; stir to incorporate.
- Add 2/3 of the bag of hash browns; let the remaining hash browns thaw in the bag.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally. Cook time may vary depending on how hot your slow cooker gets. The potatoes will thicken the soup as it cooks.
- Add Velveeta and remaining hash browns and stir until cheese is melted and soup is warmed through.
- I highly recommend adding crumbled bacon and extra cheese to your serving.
WW Freestyle Info: This makes 9 servings. Each heaping 1-cup serving is 6 points, not including garnishes. Though I highly recommend spending some extra points on a slice of crumbled bacon…or two!