Every year as the holidays are upon us, I start to think about when I’m going to get my diet back on track. Around Thanksgiving, as I’m still eating leftovers, I know that Christmas will soon be here and I face the facts….I might as well jump on the “I’ll start fresh in the new year” bandwagon. So, with my tightening pants in mind, I look for dishes that will make me feel like I’m eating my old favorites. The variety and the spiciness of this Three Bean Vegetarian Chili can satisfy your comfort food cravings, while maybe helping us all get on our “back to real eating” journey (whenever we’re ready).
- ~1 cup chopped onion
- ~1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- ~2 T. minced jalapeno pepper
- ~3 cloves garlic, minced
- ~1 can (14.5 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- ~2 T. tomato paste
- ~1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- ~1 can (15 oz.) white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ~1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- ~½ cup corn
- ~1 tsp. sugar
- ~2 tsp. ground cumin
- ~1 tsp. dried basil
- ~1 T. chili powder
- ~⅛ tsp. Cayenne pepper
- ~¼ c. vegetable broth (or fat free beef broth or prepared beef bouillon if you aren’t vegetarian)
- ~1 tsp. salt
- ~½ tsp. black pepper
- Generously spray a medium saute pan.
- Cook onion, red bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic over medium heat until tender.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cook on low to medium heat for approximately 5 hours.
- Serve topped with your favorite grated cheese and sour cream, if desired.
WW Freestyle Info: This recipe makes approximately 6 one cup servings at ZERO points each, not including toppings.