This summer, Tracy’s oldest son turned 18. Instead of cake, he asked for a dessert smorgasbord (a kid after my own heart) so he could have a dessert sampler-platter of sorts. Here is the birthday boy with his buffet!
The four of us girls and our Mom each made a different dessert, based on his request. Side note: there is no discussion needed when desserts are requested around us!! Anywho, Mom and I were talking about pecan pie recipes, we made them slightly different, so we combined the two versions and this recipe was born. It is seriously, without a doubt, the best pecan pie known to a pecan pie lover. So, if you have a hankering, or if you need a knock-your-socks-off pecan pie, this will be your go-to from now on! ~Kathy
- 1 (9”) deep dish unbaked pie crust
- 4 eggs, plus one egg yolk
- 1 c. dark brown sugar
- ¾ c. light corn syrup
- 3 T. pancake syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 T. butter, melted
- 1 ½ c. pecans, chopped
- ½ c. pecans halves
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and egg yolk until combined but not foamy.
- Add brown sugar, mix well. In large mixing bowl, combine corn syrup, pancake syrup, vanilla, salt and melted butter.
- Pour in egg mixture and combine well.
- Evenly distribute chopped pecans into bottom of pie shell.
- Arrange pecan halves over the top of the chopped pecans.
- Slowly pour corn syrup mixture over pecans, not disturbing the pecans as much as possible.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400˚F.
- Lower the oven temperature to 325˚ and bake an additional 40 – 45 minutes until center is completely cooked through.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.