Years ago when I was newly married, Tracy sent me a recipe box for my birthday. Included were several recipes that she had handwritten. This is one of my favorites from that now well-used box. I have made this more times than I can count and it’s always a hit. Taco Soup is a stick-to-your-ribs meal in one pot. This version is different than any other I have seen. The addition of ranch dressing (trust me here, do not leave this out!!) adds another layer of flavor and creaminess. We love to serve it with warm, buttered corn bread. This recipe makes a lot, so cutting it in half is feasible, but the leftovers are worth making the whole batch!! ~Kathy
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef (93/7) or 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 pkg taco seasoning (1.3 oz each)
- 2 (15 oz) cans chili beans or ranch style beans
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, mostly drained
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained (or 1 ¼ c. frozen corn)
- 2 (15 oz) cans stewed or diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 oz) can Ro-tel diced tomatoes with green chilis – you can use mild, original or hot depending on your preference
- 1 ¼ c. water*
- 1 c. Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing (we use Hidden Valley)
- In a large pot, brown ground beef, adding onion part way through the cooking process.
- Remove to drain any excess oil.
- Return to pot and add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
WW Freestyle Info.: This recipe makes about 11 cups. Each 1-cup serving is 6 points per serving if made with lean ground beef. When made with 99% lean ground turkey, each serving is 2 points.
** If you live at high altitude, increase the amount of water to 1 ½ cups.