My oldest son, and the pickiest eater in our house, has recently moved to his own place and begun one of life’s greatest adventures as a college student. No, I haven’t cried, but my worry motor has been going over time. What if he doesn’t study? What if he doesn’t go to class? What if he gets lost? What if he misses me like crazy and wants to move home but is too proud to say so? I never said my worries were even remotely realistic, did I?
Looking on the bright side of this situation has me cooking some of the things that he may have rolled his eyes over on his end of the dinner table. This Spicy Chicken with Beans and Rice is a very Weight Watchers friendly dinner, filled with flavor, and very quick to throw together (I always keep grilled chicken in my freezer during the school year). Make this and sneak some into the leftover containers you send with your college kid. Could that convince them to eat a little something healthy…? I’ll let you know. ~Tracy
- 2 large chicken breasts, thawed
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt, such as Lawry’s
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 c. uncooked brown rice (I use Minute Rice)
- 2 c. chicken broth + 2 T. more
- 2 cans black beans, drained but not rinsed
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1 c. coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 lime for juice
- tortilla strips for garnish, if desired
- Lightly season each chicken breast on both sides with garlic powder, seasoned salt, and black pepper.
- Grill each breast until cooked (165 degrees F) and juices run clear.
- Set chicken aside to rest before slicing.
- Cook rice according to package instructions, using chicken broth instead of water. I usually add a teaspoon of salt to the liquid as well.
- Mix black beans, 2T. chicken broth, sliced onion, chopped jalapeno, garlic, and cumin in a large skillet.
- Simmer black bean mixture on low for 15-20 minutes allowing flavors to blend together.
- Slice grilled chicken into thin strips cutting against the grain.
- Plate 1 c. cooked brown rice on dish or plate.
- Add approximately ¾ cup black bean mixture on top of rice.
- Top with several strips of grilled chicken.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of chopped cilantro on top and squeeze approximately a tablespoon of lime juice over the chicken and cilantro.
- Top with a few tortilla strips, if desired.
WW Freestyle Info.: This recipe makes approximately 5 servings at 4 points each (excluding tortilla strips).