Garden fresh okra is my favorite vegetable. Can you blame me? There’s nothing better than home grown okra. Some people say they hate okra, but I say they just haven’t tried the right okra. That stuff you buy pre-breaded in the freezer section is not good. Neither is slimy okra in soup. No thanks. The best kind of okra is cooked until crispy, either by hand breading and frying or by roasting with a little olive oil & salt. Both are so yummy but roasted is the healthier option. Even fried okra lovers will enjoy this roasted version, I promise. ~Erin
- ~ 2 pounds fresh okra
- ~ 1 T. olive oil OR olive oil cooking spray
- ~ 1 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Wash the okra and pat it dry.
- Cut the stem and the tip of each okra pod and slice into ¼ inch rounds.
- Toss on a large sheet pan with olive oil OR spray the empty pan with cooking spray, add the okra in one single layer, then spray the okra with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle evenly with salt.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 30 – 40 minutes, stirring occasionally; remember to redistribute the okra into a single layer after stirring.
~I cook mine the entire 40 minutes because I like it really crispy. Also, okra contains a lot of water so it will shrink quite a bit.
~Weight Watchers Info.: This recipe makes 4 servings. If you use olive oil, each serving is 1 SmartPoint. If you use cooking spray, each serving is zero SmartPoints!