As the Mom of two boys who would rather eat donuts for breakfast (or a restaurant style plate of bacon, eggs, and pancakes), finding healthy breakfast options is a struggle! Don’t get me wrong, they will eat cereal. One of them ate two bowls of Chocolate Frosted Flakes just today. My point is, that unless I can fake them them into a healthy breakfast option, they are looking for their morning sugar rush! They are not into fruit topped quinoa for breakfast. Who would be!?
These Lighter Blueberry Muffins are at least a step in the right direction. With only a small amount of sugar, and no oil or butter, maybe these muffins can help us all avoid the dreaded “muffin top.” ~Tracy
- ~ 1 c. low fat milk (1%)
- ~ ¼ c. non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- ~ ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ~ 1 large egg
- ~ 2 c. all-purpose flour
- ~ ⅓ c. sugar
- ~ 3 tsp. baking powder
- ~ ½ tsp. salt
- ~ 1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries (rinsed and dried)
- ~ 2 T. brown sugar
- ~ ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine other dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Beat milk, yogurt, and egg in a large bowl.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients mixing just until combined. It’s fine for the batter to have a few lumps.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Generously spray cups of muffin pan with baking spray. Even if using paper liners it is important to generously spray them with baking spray. With no oil in this recipe, muffins will stick without spraying the pan or liners.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups, filling each about ⅔ full.
- Sprinkle a small amount of the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture over the top of each muffin.
- Bake at 400 for about 22 minutes or until golden brown.
Weight Watchers Info.: Makes 12 muffins. Each muffin equals 4 Weight Watchers SmartPoints.