This recipe inspiration is brought to you by some good folks in one of the cast iron cooking groups I follow on Facebook. If you own a cast iron pan (or even if you don’t), I urge you to follow a couple groups. There are some amazing recipes posted there! The meaty crust pizza I spotted in the cast iron cooking group had a ground beef “crust.” Intriguing, but I felt like ground turkey could be more easily seasoned to taste Italian, which is more fitting for pizza obviously. I have to say, I was right! This Italian seasoned turkey “crust” is so flavorful, you won’t even miss regular pizza dough crust. ~Erin
- 1 lb. 99% fat free ground turkey breast
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ c. seasoned breadcrumbs (I used Progresso Garlic & Herb.)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ c. jarred pizza sauce (I used Classico Fire Roasted.)
- 2 c. low-moisture, part skim mozzarella cheese
- ½ c. Jimmy Dean fully cooked sausage crumbles
- Thinly sliced fresh veggies: I used 1 small red bell pepper, ½ a purple onion, a few mushrooms
- fresh basil, optional
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spray a metal sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the ground turkey, Italian seasoning, egg, bread crumbs, and salt until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared sheet pan and pat into a ½ inch thick circle; bake 20 minutes.
- Remove the turkey “crust” from the oven and loosen from the sheet pan using a spatula, if necessary.
- Increase the oven temperature to broil.
- Top the turkey-crust with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, sausage crumbles, and finally the sliced veggies.
- Broil for about 10 minutes, until the cheese begins to brown.
- Top with chopped fresh basil, if desired.
- Slice and serve hot.
WW Freestyle Info.: This recipe makes 8 servings. Each slice is 4 points.