When your favorite Asian restaurant is an hour from home, you learn to improvise – or at least I do. I’ve learned to make my two favorites: Lettuce Wraps and Orange Chicken (I’ll share the chicken recipe with you later). I’ve tweaked these Lettuce Wraps to my family’s liking by adding a little spice. We had these for dinner tonight and they’re delicious – and at 6 SmartPoints per serving (for four servings) you can eat a lot! All you’ll need to do is remember to buy some fortune cookies. ~Tracy
- 1 pound 99% fat free ground turkey (I’ve also used very lean ground chicken)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about ¾ c.)
- 2 oz. pine nuts
- 2 T. minced garlic
- 1 T. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ c. hoisin sauce
- 1 T. minced fresh ginger
- 1 T. rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 can (8 oz.) water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. Asian sesame oil
- 1 head lettuce or bunch of romaine lettuce
Rinse lettuce leaves, keeping them whole. Set aside on paper towels to dry.
Cook turkey and onion together in large skillet. Once turkey is approximately half cooked, add the garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, vinegar, and crushed red pepper. Continue cooking.
When meat mixture is fully cooked, add water chestnuts, pine nuts, and green onions. Cook until green onions just begin to wilt. Stir in sesame oil.
Spoon mixture into the middle of a large lettuce leaf. Fold or wrap lettuce leaf around meat mixture to eat.
WW Info.: Makes 4 servings.
Freestyle SmartPoints: 5 SmartPoints per serving.
Old SmartPoints: 6 SmartPoints per serving.